17 February 2008

Korea pt 1: Korea and Art

A few good things from the National Museum of Contemporary Art, Korea:
  • Christian Boltanski's "The Theater of Shadows" installation
  • "No Exit" by Kim Sang-Yu: I know there is more to it than this, but I just love variations on/homages to the "Body of the Dead Christ in the Tomb"
  • "Walls and Conduits" by Bernd and Hiller Becher
  • Kim Suk Whan's very lovely vessels
  • Something I think was by Nam June Paik that I didn't think was that great at first but I can't seem to stop thinking about it, it was a rock with a length of wood on top of it, and another rock and piece of wood on top of that, and on the top, a TV with an image of a rock. The piece formed a wedge sort of, with everything stacked on one side. He also did a tower of TVs that dominates the central stairwell, but unfortunately, this was under construction when we visited.
The museum is a joy to walk around, with lovely gallery layouts and lots of natural lighting. In addition, this museum has one of the coolest children's sections I've ever seen.

I took notes on more things but I'm having trouble finding images online to jog my memory. I guess that's just another reason to go back sometime!

No comments:

Post a Comment