21 March 2011

buckeyes

Buckeyes are one of my favorite candies. Chocolate and peanut butter, you can almost convince yourself they're healthy snacks and not loaded with powdered sugar, and, from looking at several different recipes, butter.

I've always wanted to try to make buckeyes a little healthier. So yesterday I did, try that is. I wouldn't exactly call it a success (though I've already eaten 4 or 5 since getting home from work...).

I modified this recipe and dipped the peanut butter balls in chocolate instead of rolling in coconut. I think my problem is with the honey. Even though I only used half of what was called for, the honey flavor is still too strong. Maybe next time I'll try agave (despite the controversies) or, I've been toying with the idea of no added sweetener at all. I also think I'll try powdered milk instead of wheat germ, or a combination of the two next time. I think the powdered milk might give it that creamy consistency that I think the butter probably lends the traditional version.

buckeyes

Here's what I did:
1 c natural, unsweetened, unsalted peanut butter
1/2 c honey
1+ c wheat germ
salt to taste
~5 oz dark chocolate (mixture of 71% and 80%)

Mix first four ingredients until firm, I started with a spoon but moved on to using my hands. Form into little balls (I used a tiny ice cream scoop gadget we have, then rolled them in my palms).
Melt chocolate in (on top of?) double boiler. Using toothpick or skewer, dip balls in chocolate. Place on parchment to cool. Store in refrigerator.

1 comment:

  1. these look so so good. i agree with the powdered milk. i've seen recipes for these with powdered milk in them.

    ReplyDelete